2020-21 2nd Grade Parents
What an exciting year ahead in faith formation for your child, they will be receiving their first Sacrament of Healing, the Sacrament of Reconciliation (also called Penance or Confession!) and their second Sacrament of Initiation, First Holy Communion!
In addition to your regular lessons, we will be providing a short 20-30 minute activity for you to do with your 2nd grader each month. These activities will be focused on learning about, and preparing for, the Sacraments they will receive!
- March 20, 2021 – First Reconciliation at 10 AM
- April 24, 2021 – Jesus Day (First Eucharist Practice & Retreat) 10 AM – 3 PM
- May 1 or May 8, 2021 – First Eucharist Masses at 10 AM, we will send sign-ups later in the year!
See the tabs below for more specific information on each Sacrament!
- The children will gather together in the main church on Saturday, March 20, 2021 at 10:00 AM. They will be welcomed and some encouraging words will be shared. From that point, children will examine their conscience, get in line to receive Reconciliation, & head back to their pews to pray their Penance.
- There will be a small cookie & juice reception afterwards to celebrate the joy and freedom of the Sacrament!
- Dress Code: Sunday best! No jeans, athletic shorts/pants, t-shirts, or flip-flops.
- Families have two dates to choose from (May 1 or 8, 2020) for their child to receive First Communion. Each Mass will begin at 10:00 AM.
- We have a photographer & families can order individual pictures. Families can come as early as 8:30 AM for these pictures but all students have to be ready for the group picture at 9:30 AM.
- There is no reception following First Communion as we know many children have family & guests waiting to celebrate at home with them!
- Practice/Retreat: We will be having a half-day retreat and practice on April 24, 2021 this year. At least one adult needs to attend with each student (This can be a parent, grandparent, or godparent!), but both parents are welcome! This retreat & practice will run from 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM.
- Dress Code: This is a special day and our dress should signify that it’s an important occasion and a sacred Liturgy!
- Boys are asked to wear slacks, a button-up shirt, tie, and dress shoes. Suit jackets are optional, but most choose to wear them.
- Girls are asked to wear white dresses with, or without, a simple jacket or shoulder covering and dress shoes (no sandals or flip-flops). Many girls wear a simple tiara, floral crown, or veil, but these are not required. Gloves, if worn, must be removed before reception of First Holy Communion. Please reach out to us if you need assistance obtaining dress clothes, we are happy to help!
Dynamic Catholic also has these animated videos available for free if you want to spend some time going over the teaching on Holy Communion with your child: https://dynamiccatholic.com/blessed/program-view/