Name: Fr Ed Shikina
Title: Parochial Vicar
- Tell us a little about yourself.
I am of Japanese descent (parents grew up in Okinawa, Japan, married, then moved to the US), born and raised in the US. Lived in Lafayette, Louisiana for the first 11 yrs of my life, then Columbus, Ohio. 2 older sisters, 1 younger brother. My second oldest sister and parents live locally. Home parish is Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal on the east side of Columbus. Played the trumpet in school, then in the OSU Marching Band. Worked at a paper company retail store, then outside sales at a lumber company, then drove a forklift in a warehouse, then at a helpdesk troubleshooting computers at Safelite Autoglass. Entered seminary at age 34, ordained a priest at age 42. I like to do a variety of things in my spare time – fish, golf, exercise, etc… “jack of all trades, master of none.”
- Tell us about your role here. What are you in charge of? Who do you work with a lot? What other departments do you coordinate with? What all does your job entail?
I am the parochial vicar which means I am the associate/assistant to Fr Bob for the parish. In addition to sharing the Sacramental ministries of saying Mass and hearing confessions, I go to anoint parishioners in nursing homes, hospitals, or homebound. I might hear their confessions and bring them communion. I do marriage prep, weddings, baptisms, funerals, and annulment cases. I oversee and participate in the men’s ministries such as the Knights of Columbus, the St. Brendan Men’s faith sharing groups, and Men’s Club. I help with the Faith Formation and the RCIA. I attend meetings such as finance council, parish leadership team, ONE campaign team, etc. Offsite, I help with Sacramental ministries for other organizations such as confessions for Damascus, parish penance services, and retreats, or saying Mass. I help in various capacities as requested by different ministries of the parish such as giving talks, helping the youth and young adult group, or just being present at some activity.
- How did you come to work at St Brendan’s? When did you start working here? What made you want to apply here?
This is my first priestly assignment. I started July 2018, after being ordained a priest on May 26th.
- What is the best part of your job here?
Ministering to the people and seeing God working in their lives.
- What is your favorite thing to do on weekends?
My weekends are busy with the Masses here. I enjoy talking to the parishioners. When not saying Mass on Saturday, I am usually working on my homily. After the Masses on Sunday afternoon, I usually am relaxing at the rectory and sometimes sharing in the cooking. On my actual day off on Thursday, my favorite thing to do is to visit my family.
- Favorite book: Silence by Shusako Endo, and The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene, and A Song for Nagasaki: The Story of Takashi Nagai by Fr. Paul Glynn
- Favorite movie: Recently, “The Island” (the Russian movie)
- Favorite Saint: St. Teresa of Calcutta
- Go-to snack: Pistachios
- Tell us what you’re proud of.
The people of St. Brendan’s trying to be holy.
- What is the first thing you do when you wake up?
Get on my knees and thank God for everything, then pray about my day, asking for God’s help, and any other petitions.
- Tell us anything else you think we should know! Or any fun facts you have about yourself.
Fun fact: I used to have a deep southern twang, coming from Louisiana after 11 yrs, and would say “Ya’ll”.